27 August 2008

Rain

I'm glad I did laundry yesterday. The pile of sheets and towels on our bedroom floor was getting cumbersome to walk around. I'm also glad that it IS raining. I'd worn a small brown patch on the lawn just north of our clothes line and without water it wasn't going to revive. Now the grass is getting its nourishment and a break from my tramping on it.

On cool, wet days like this I'm happy about a dry house to come home to, the warming lights of lamps, hot tea, and a good novel. I'm reading Leif Enger's Peace Like a River and finding it hard to put down. Such thick books (well it's only 311 pages) sometimes take me months to read, but I'm more than half-way after having it only a week.

So here's to the rain. And to warm, dry houses. And to absorbing novels.

6 comments:

dragonfly said...

Here's to those who invite others in, on rainy days.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'll give it up for rain too! It's rainy here today and we're hoping our laundry dries in spite of it...but it's a nice relief from the heat. Mom is a huge help.....
Candice

Sonya Chisenhall said...

how bout sending some of that rain our way...just not on saturday.

Second Sister said...

rain sounds dreamy to me,too. we havent had real rain here in Cali at this elevation since end of Februaruy, really. oi. I dream of rain.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the bliss of uninterrupted novel reading, lying on a couch, and drinking tea! Enjoy it while you have it! :)
-Sylvia

Anonymous said...

The Life! Dad