to look a bit like Christmas!
And inside the house the manger scene is set up (with the addition of a pig this year--no, not very Jewish, but then again David reminds me that maybe Joseph and Mary were taken in by some Gentiles), a lovely poinsettia graces the coffee table, and there are some silver ball ornaments on the star pine.
Plans for cookie making are under way.
Having just given birth three months ago, the labor part of the Christmas story has deeper meaning. Laying on the living room floor watching my little boy and listening to a rendition of "Labor of Love" by Andrew Peterson this afternoon, I couldn't help tearing up as I thought of young Mary laboring for her first time far from home. I wouldn't go so far as to say she didn't have any midwife attending her (it seems rather likely that SOMEone would have been there to help), but midwife or no, your first time giving birth is an overwhelming experience--fear, pain, helplessness (mixed with the fight for some "control" over what is happening to your body), frustration, gratitude, love, joy, exhaustion, relief--all these emotions and sensations rolling over and through you. I felt like I was riding through the air on a powerful beast, clinging to it for all I was worth in hopes that I wouldn't fall to my doom. Not unlike an image from "The Magician's Nephew" where Digory and Polly are riding the newly-winged horse Fledge. This image actually flitted across my mind's eye in the very early stages of labor (and, no, I HADN'T just been reading any Narnia books!) and I only realized later how apt it had been for the day's event.
All that to say, I empathize with Mary in a new way this year. I am so grateful for the gift of a successful labor and healthy, beautiful child. Both now and two thousand years ago. Who needs to unwrap anything else?
Plans for cookie making are under way.
Having just given birth three months ago, the labor part of the Christmas story has deeper meaning. Laying on the living room floor watching my little boy and listening to a rendition of "Labor of Love" by Andrew Peterson this afternoon, I couldn't help tearing up as I thought of young Mary laboring for her first time far from home. I wouldn't go so far as to say she didn't have any midwife attending her (it seems rather likely that SOMEone would have been there to help), but midwife or no, your first time giving birth is an overwhelming experience--fear, pain, helplessness (mixed with the fight for some "control" over what is happening to your body), frustration, gratitude, love, joy, exhaustion, relief--all these emotions and sensations rolling over and through you. I felt like I was riding through the air on a powerful beast, clinging to it for all I was worth in hopes that I wouldn't fall to my doom. Not unlike an image from "The Magician's Nephew" where Digory and Polly are riding the newly-winged horse Fledge. This image actually flitted across my mind's eye in the very early stages of labor (and, no, I HADN'T just been reading any Narnia books!) and I only realized later how apt it had been for the day's event.
All that to say, I empathize with Mary in a new way this year. I am so grateful for the gift of a successful labor and healthy, beautiful child. Both now and two thousand years ago. Who needs to unwrap anything else?
1 comment:
Absolutely lovely, sister. I miss you guys. I can't believe its taking me so long to get in to hold the newest member. Love to you all and Merry Christmas.
Post a Comment